Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Munsha Speaks About Her Upcoming EP - "Who Will Play After?"




11 March 2016 marks the release of the new EP “Who Will Play After” by Italian-born, Berlin-based electronic artist Munsha on Perfect Entropy's GLITCH Music imprint.. The four track outing features the eclectic cellist/vocalist/producer (birth name: Daniela Lunelli) crafting a selection of songs that range from brooding trip hop balladry to industrial dark wave with the cohesive touch of a classically trained musician.


Before the release of the album, Munsha sat down with GLITCH label founder and ReVerse Bullets frontman Klaas von Karlos to discuss the process of crafting her album, her experience living in Berlin, and more. Klaas von Karlos: What is origin of the title, “Who Will Play After?”  What does it mean to you? Munsha: "Who Will Play After?" comes from a sense of parting and from a questions that kept happening in my mind, such as 'who will take my place?' who will replace my role?' It's a game between time and space and the role that we'd like to play with them, so I put new masks on and I turned my machines on…The loss of indisputable affections, small things forgotten or pushed aside, learning new places - as it was after I moved to Berlin, the blue feeling for what I left behind, at times a bit of fear too... All these the parts I tried to translate into a sound, almost without even realizing it. Indeed, what may be identified as the concept of this production (if we really need it) has emerged at completed work. It was like lingering on an old photo and then suddenly lost memories crop up.


KVK: What was your writing process for the album?  How long did it take you to complete the writing and recording?
M: During the EP production I only followed a kind of flow...performing on a mechanical and (at times) a jagged rhythm as if I was a cog in a machine. I think it came as an evolution of totally new experiences and sensations that do not deny themselves.



KVK: How did living/working in Berlin influence the sound and design of the project? M: The Berlin experience helped to strengthen my multiple senses of belonging. I was (and still am) a cog in many wheels and I live in a city full of experience and stories - as impressive as private - in which every little tile is at the same time crucial and expendable. I took inspiration from this feeling to conceive the EP cover art, letting my imagination run wild. Whereas on one hand a man wears his clothes in order to play a role in larger devices of society, on the other hand there's the same man with his personal identity and probably something behind to remember. Herr Fritz [the man whose image inspired the album artwork] is still part of this city: wryly in his underwear, ruthlessly sold with awful home furnishings and worn-out clothes.

KVK: How was creating this EP for yourself different from the composing/writing for theater pieces, installations, or your work with the The Max Maffia &The Empty Daybox? M: I always have fun jumping into different musical backgrounds. I don't like to belong to a defined style or genre. Rather, I prefer to go along with an idea and expand the theme. Even though my productions may sound quite different one from the other, it is always me! That's why I can find a common thread between Munsha's songs and the "cinematic" and ambient project of Max Maffia & the Empty Daybox, or between the vocal experimentation and the Sound Design for Visual Arts. I find it amusing. It's a bit like looking through a broken mirror: multiple reflection angles of the same eyes.







Munsha's new EP "Who Will Play After? is available March 11, 2016 from GLITCH/Perfect Entropy Productions from Amazon, iTunes, and all Digital Music Outlets. "Who Will Play After Release Show - http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?814982 Munsha Live Dates - http://munsha.it/ GLITCH Label - http://perfect-entropy.com/glitch

No comments:

Post a Comment